ABERGAVENNY EISTEDDFOD SATURDAY APRIL 21ST 2018
The Abergavenny Eisteddfod is open to any competitors, wherever they live, whether they want to compete in Welsh or English, as individuals, a school, other organisation.
Competitions include music (singing and instrumental), folk and disco dancing and recitation as individuals or a group. A complete list can be seen on the entry form (see “How to Enter” below.)
Dates and times
- Closing date for entries: 9th March 2018
- Preliminary competitions (if there are more than 3 entries) are held prior to the eisteddfod.
- On-stage finals: from 9a.m. onwards, Saturday 21st April
King Henry VIII School, Old Hereford Road, Abergavenny, NP7 6EP
Special choir prize!
The winning choir will receive a special shield, to be kept for a year, together with a small replica shield to keep.
- Competitors aged 5 – 11 must be entered and accompanied at all times by a responsible adult, whether through school, an organisation or parent/guardian.
- Competitors can choose their own pieces, as long as they are within 3 minutes in length.
- Material used, including songs and drama texts, must be suitable for an all-age audience.
- Acts using inappropriate material will be disqualified.
- For safety and space reasons, we have set a maximum number of competitors for the instrumental ensemble and disco dance competitions.
- Competitors must bring 2 copies of the music, at least one of which is the original. One copy is for themselves and one is for the adjudicator, which needs to have the competitor’s name and competition number on the music. Copies are destroyed afterwards to comply with the Copyright Act.
- Competitors not submitting music will be disqualified.
- Conductors and accompanists may be any age – adults or children
- Competitors needing an accompanist are asked to advise organisers and supply accompaniment in advance (please see entry form below.)
- There must be at least 2 different instruments in the ensemble competition.
- Recitation competitors are asked to bring 2 copies of the piece for the adjudicator and organiser.
How to enter
Please fill in the entry form , which you can submit online.
If you would like a paper copy of the application form, please contact Rosemary Williams on 01873 811814 or email@example.com or by post to: Rosemary Williams, 7 Cwrt Newydd, Crickhowell, Powys, NP8 1AQ
If you have any enquiries, please contact Rosemary Williams on 01873 811814 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- All finalists performing on stage receive medals and written adjudications.
- Visitors are welcome. Adult visitors can buy a one-off spectator ticket (£3.00) at the preliminary competitions, which also allows entry to the finals on Saturday 21st Children and young people up to age 18 come in free.
- Photographs will be taken and may be used for publicity purposes.
- The winning choir (competition no 17) will be invited to perform in the Adult Gala Concert in the Methodist Church, Castle Street, Abergavenny NP7 5EE on Saturday, June 16th
Art, Photography and Literature
Abergavenny Town Council runs annual Art, Photography and Literature competitions for children and young people who attend local primary and secondary schools.
Read the 2018 invitation to submit
Preliminary competitions are held if there are more than three entries for any competition.
There is a small charge (£3.00) for adult entry to prelims, which goes towards the cost of running the Eisteddfod. The prelim entry ticket also allows entry to the finals on Saturday 21st April 2018.
Dates and venues for the 2018 prelims
Start time for all prelims is 4.30 pm
|Dance (Folk & Disco)
Reading at first sight
| Mon. March 19th
||Deri View School
|| Tues. March 20th
|| Llantilio Pertholey School
|| Wed. March 21st
|| Ysgol Gymraeg Y Fenni
| Instrumental, including piano
|| Thurs. March 22nd
|| Cantref School
| Instrumental Ensemble
|| Mon. March 26th
|| Llanfoist School
|| Tues. March 27th
||Ysgol Gymraeg Y Fenni
Please ensure that you bring 2 copies of music and recitation pieces for the preliminary rounds.
Stage Competitions for Children of Primary Age
Closing date 9th March. Please note max time of 3 minutes for all competitions.
Please read details on web page Competing>Children aged 5-11 before completing the form.